The nice weather is upon us and with a little one with boundless energy, we can’t get outside enough. Although we love playgrounds, it is nice to keep boredom at bay and infuse the weekly ‘routine’ with other activities. This is OberBargain, so the focus will be FREE activities to do in Fairfield County this summer:
- KidsDrawFree in Kiwanis Park – Kiwanis Park in Stamford Saturdays, May 24th to October 15th from 12-4pm.
- Art & Music Rowayton Arts Center-fest - 145 Rowayton Ave in Rowayton on Saturday, May 31st from 2-6pm. Sidewalk art, free-form painting, and mask making. Music at 4pm
- The Greek Experience – Assumption Greek Orthodox Church in Danbury from Friday, June 6th to Sunday, June 8th
- 3rd Annual Summer Fun Fest - at Grace United Methodist Church in Fairfield on Saturday, June 21st from 10am-6pm. There will be music, arts and crafts vendors and inflatables. (Some activities require a fee.)
- Trumbull Summer Welcome Craft Festival – field adjacent Marisa’s Restaurant in Trumbull on Saturday, June 21st from 11am-5pm. Feature local and other artisans.
- Artwalk – Downtown Stamford on Friday, June 27th from 6-9pm to Saturday, June 28th from 10am-7pm.
- Norwalk Art Festival – Mathews Park in Norwalk on Saturday, June 28th and Sunday, the 29th from 10am-5pm.
- Arts & Crafts on Bedford – craft and artisan boutiques on Bedford Street in Stamford Saturday, September 20th from 11am-8pm and Sunday, September 21st from 10am to 5pm. Live music from 6-9pm on Saturday. Event features a rock-climbing wall and animals from Stamford Nature Center and Museum.
- Waveny Summer Concerts - on the lawn behind Waveny House in Waveny Park in New Canaan every Wednesday from 7:30-9:30pm, beginning, June 4th and ending August 27th. Raindate is the following day, Thursday. Bring chair, blanket or picnic supper and enjoy the music.
- Norwalk Public Library Family Concerts – at Norwalk Public Library Friday, June 6th and July 18th from 10-10:45am
- Summer Fun at Mill River Park – at Mill River Park Playground in Stamford kicking off on June 7th from 10am-noon then at 11am on Saturdays beginning June 21st until July 26th.
- Fairfield Summer Concert Series at the Sherman Green Gazebo in Fairfield on kicks off on Sunday, June 8th at 3pm and ends Wednesday, August 27th at 6:30pm
- Music for Children – Cos Cob Library in Greenwich. Wednesday, June 18th at 3:45.
- Corpus Christi Concert – in the parking lot of Basilica of St. John in Stamford at 6pm on Sunday, June 22nd. Bring chairs and picnic dinner.
- Sing Me a Story – Weed Memorial & Hollander Brand in Stamford on Saturday, June 28th from 10:30 to 11:30.
- Norwalk Summer Concert Series – at Calf Pasture Beach in Norwalk. Series kicks off on Wednesday, June 25th at 6pm and ends on Wednesday, September 3rd. Beach stickers are needed to enter beach, if without $5 charge (expect 4th of July, $20).
- Alive@Five – at Columbus Park in downtown Stamford on Thursdays, July 10th through August 14th. Kids 12 and under are free and must enter before 7pm. Between 5-6pm $5 entrance fee, $10 entrance fee otherwise
- Levitt Pavilion Summer Series – at Levitt Pavilion in Westport beginning Tuesday, July 15th. (Details and performers being finalized at time of posting.) Children concert series as well, but no details at time of posting.
- Sand Jam & Movie Nights – at Jennings Beach in Fairfield. Dances begin at 6:30; Movie at dark. Most events are Fridays, starting June 27th and ending on Thursday, August 7th. Beach stickers are needed to enter beach, if without $20 charge.
- Peanut Butter Jam Concert - at the Sherman Green Gazebo in Fairfield every Wednesday starting, July 9th at 12:30pm and ends on August 13th. Pack a picnic and enjoy the interactive musical performances for kids.
- Sound Beach Community Band Concert - at Binney Park in Greenwich on Sunday, July 27th at 7pm.
- Sing-Along with Dr. Ev – Stamford Ferguson Library Main Branch, 3rd floor on Monday, August 4th from 1-2pm.
- Animation Celebration – Mill River Park Playground in Stamford starting at 6:30pm every other Saturday beginning June 14th and ending August 30th.
- Landmark Free Summer Movies for Kids - at Landmark 9 in Stamford and Marquis 16 in Trumbull. Each Tuesday and Wednesday starting Tuesday, June 24th and ending Thursday, August 20th. Seating starts at 9am and movie begins at 10am. First come, first served. Limited theatre capacity.
- SYSB Drive-in Movies – every Saturday night in July and August at the River Walk in Shelton.
- Sand Jam & Movie Nights - at Jennings Beach in Fairfield. Dances begin at 6:30; Movie at dark. Most events are Fridays, starting June 27th and ending on Thursday, August 7th. Beach stickers are needed to enter beach, if without $20.
- Norwalk Movie Time Outdoor Movies - at Shady Beach in Norwalk. Series kicks off on Saturday, July 12th and ends August 16th. Evening begins at 6pm with face painting and movie starts at dusk. Beach stickers are needed to enter beach, if without $5 charge (expect 4th of July, $20).
- Open House Day – Discounted, free admission or special exhibits at museums, parks and other properties around the state on Saturday, June 14th.
- Museum Passes - free or discounted passes for area museums and state parks at your local library. My post Playgroups and Programs for Mom, Baby and Kids details the local library’s and links to their passes.
- Shakespeare on the Sound – performing “Two Gentleman of Verona” opens on Thursday, June 12th at 7:30 in Rowayton. Performances will also be in Greenwich. Admission is free although donations are encouraged.
- Storytimes – My post Playgroups and Programs for Mom, Baby and Kids details the local library’s year round calendar including summer programs (if any) and Barnes and Noble’s details.
Of course there are the carnivals and the 4th of July fireworks during the summer that are fun. I also love a good farmer’s market which are so prevelant in this area.
Events are subject to change. Please check the website or call ahead to be sure there are no changes to the event from the date of this posting.
What do you like to do in the summer?